[AMRadio] Catadioptric, was refractor

Rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Tue Dec 5 10:23:16 EST 2006

Todd hit it right on the HEAD!

While not available to the "masses", (read the entire population),  I
was setting up and running networks involving Universities, the U.S.
Government, AND U.S. Contractors starting the fall of 1984.

In 1988, ALL these groups and their "users", had SMTP text ONLY based
E-mail.  Picture attachments were also available.

In about 1988 - 1989, the first web browser, Mosaic, (the forefather to
Mozilla Firefox AND Netscape), came out first for UNIX based machines,
SHORTLY followed by PC versions.

I was in the military from 1968 through 1988.  Began running computer
systems in 1982.  Began as a "contractor/consultant" in the summer of
1988.  Became an E-mail administrator for world-wide access in 1989.

So much for the "Electronic Super Highway".  Check lists of Internet
RFCs to find out WHEN SMTP, (Simple Mail Transport Protocol), and
"early" search engines like "Gopher" came into life!

Bob - N0DGN
ret E-7 / Systems Administrator / Sr. Systems Engineer

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:

>> That Al Gore story is an urban legend.
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
>

> I've found the snopes site to be less-than-accurate on more than one
> occasion, so I don't put a lot of faith in their explanations. There's
> definitely a slant involved when you start comparing historical facts
> to some of their descriptions. Not unlike the way the media "presents"
> the news, IMHO.
>
> Embellishment is the best description, since the 'net' already existed
> but just wasn't available to the masses. For any one person to somehow
> try to take credit regardless of how they say it is simply foolish.
> Geoff is right, it's just an easy laugh and would be if someone from
> another party said it.
>
> ~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

Bob - NØDGN

|          \\"""//                                \\"""//          |
|           (@ @)       Bob Bethman - NØDGN        (@ @)           |
+-------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo-------+
| NØDGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
+-------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------+
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-61ØI w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I,1 '51 Collins R-390A |
|  SP-600/NR Type 159, Heath DX-60, Apache, Mohawk, SX-101, HT-32A |
+-------.oooO---Oooo.---------------------------.oooO---Oooo.------+
|       (    ) (    )                           (    ) (    )      |
|        \  (   )  /                             \  (   )  /       |
|         \ _) ( _/                               \ _) ( _/        |
|           Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8               |
|             12" f5 Dob coming soon!  Being built                 |
|                          Meade ETX-6Ø                            |
|           38 Deg 46'48.62"' N - 77 Deg 28'26.89" W               |
|   Opinions expressed are that of my own and do not necessarily   |
|         coincide with or represent those of ANYONE else          |
|ALL E-mail received and sent scanned by AVG & Norton System Works |