[AMRadio] Pw Supply

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wa5bxo2006 at pctechref.com
Wed Dec 6 16:28:44 EST 2006

Jim: (JKO)
	That is an interesting statement which I had never thought of
before.  Using two XFMRs like Jack said, seems at first to be a good theory
but as you pointed out each transformer will be looking into a half
rectifier circuit so that the duty cycle on each core and primary would be
alternately 1/120 of a second.  I'm just not sure how that computes to heat.
The primary current of one XFMR would high for 1/2 of the cycle and low on
the other half and alternating half cycles for the other XFMR if phase
wiring was proper.  If the primary windings were in parallel then the sum of
the primary currents would equate to a proper sine wave and the total
current of the two would be more that if there was one due to the losses
being double but I wouldn't have thought it to be  2X more.

	This may seem like a dummy's question but is it the unbalanced
magnetic swings and DC current through the secondary that would cause the
extra loss?

I can see where a full wave bridge circuit for each supply and connecting
the two power supplies in series would solve this.

Elucidated some more please!
John, WA5BXO