[AMRadio] Pw Supply

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wa5bxo2006 at pctechref.com
Wed Dec 6 19:51:49 EST 2006

Good info Jim:
	Certainly something I never considered.

John, WA5BXO

-----Original Message-----
From: amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net
[mailto:amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim Candela
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 5:24 PM
To: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Pw Supply

John,

   I don't have a good explanation except I tried this once at a high power
level, and the results worked until we put a clamp on Ammeter to look at the
combined primary current.

   We needed 60 volts CT at 200 amperes with 208 vac primary. The secondary
isolation from the primary had to withstand 200,000 volts DC. The core was a
large 'C' core, and the whole thing sat in a oil tank. The layered layers of
mylar insulation resulted in considerable leakage inductance within the
transformer. Before we built the beast we tried two 30 volt @ 100 ampere
standard transformers to power up a big electro-magnet. It worked but the
primary I was 2X what it should have been. Maybe the Tripplett clamp on
ammeter was miss-behaving from the every half cycle current draw, but I also
recall blowing circuit breakers, and darkening portions of the building. The
boss was concerned to say the least. After building the 60v CT transformer
prototype, everything worked fine, and had expected primary current. So was
it core saturation from high DC current one way only, a power factor issue,
or something else? I really don't know, and since that was 1981, my recall
could be put in question. After all , over 50 now, so CRS is a fact of being
an OM! ;-)

  I had to make a 0-200amp DC linear series regulator for that supply. A
large water cooled heatsink and 32 TO-3 2N6258's in parallel.  What a
monster that was!

Regards,
Jim
JKO