[AMRadio] RF Amp

ARS W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 20:58:13 EST 2006

> If you've got the iron, I'd build up a 2kVDC supply, to run at 250mA
> on the final, for 500w DC Input to the final.  at those voltages, you
> don't need nearly as big of value components as you would if you were
> running 4kV on a pair of 450's in the final.

Of course, build for reserve ;-)  Variac the thing, make the current
handling capability double, and make it 2500v.  Got an old BC-610
plate transformer laying around?

Double up on the modulator supply for the 450T's.  You're going to
need 3 or 4kVDC.
Pay attention to your DC power supply, think about things like
critical inductance, capacitors rated for 1.5x the B+ level and so
forth  I''ve just gone through all that here, trying to design a (yet
another) power supply for my rig.

A Power supply for a Class AB(1) or AB(2) or Class B requires a -lot-
more thought be put into it, than say one for a Class C circuit, that
will -always- have a decent amount of current being drawn through it.

Got any Swinging Chokes?  ;-)

--
Operating your AM rig without a scope
is like driving our car at night without headlights.(~K4KYV)

73 = Best Regards
-Geoff/W5OMR