[AMRadio] Re: Pw Supply

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Thu Dec 7 13:20:01 EST 2006

Hi Jack,

See comments/answers below.

73/GL,
 -Larry/NE1S

Jack Schmidling writes:

> MFJ has a 900v one for about $100.  Is there any reason why I can not use
> two of these and tie one side of the secondaries together and call that
> the center tap and have an 1800v ct transformer/s?

Jim Candela has already given the correct answer ("no"), and why.

> I am using 866's so I must have a center tap.

Not necessarily! Use 4 866's in a full-wave bridge. But this will require a
minimum of 3 filament transformers for the 866's.

> Second question is:
>
> Mine has the HV going to the choke and then to two 4 mf 3kv caps in
> parallel.  Is it not more conventional to put a cap on each side of the
> choke or two chokes for a choke input filter?

Choke-input and capacitor-input filters have very different voltage outputs,
not to mention dynamic voltage-regulation. Also, mercury-vapor rectifiers
get VERY UNHAPPY looking into capacitor-input filters. If you use MV
rectifiers, you MUST use a choke-input filter. With a choke input filter,
you need to be cognizant of the minimum current being sourced from the
supply and the required critical (minimumum) inductance of the choke. Do you
have a period (1930's - 1950's) handbook you can review?

> What would I gain or lose by moving one of the caps to the HV side?

If you use cap-input with MV rectifiers, you'll at least lose the
rectifiers! Otherwise, you'll gain unloaded output voltage, at the expense
of poorer dynamic voltage regulation, & put more stress on  *(from higher
peak currents in) the (SS diode or vacuum) rectifiers and plate transformer.

I thought this has mostly already been covered in this thread?