[AMRadio] MFJ

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Thu Dec 7 17:34:46 EST 2006

I have the butternut, ground mounted, not enough radials.
It does make a good dummy load, and is poor on receive as well.
I removed the 160 meter coil, that was useless!

My take on antenna's is the bigger they are, the better they work.
I would not buy anything mfj, and anything with traps
or baluns does not seem to work long on AM over 100 watts, no matter how
well its made.
I gave up on that stuff and just run a dipole.

I tried one of the B+W all band antennas, the swr was bad, and the
power rating of 2kw was ssb only, B+W told me about 175 watts
of AM was about all it was good for, and the center resistor thing
was smoking at that power level!

The most trouble free thing I ever came up with that worked well
was a resonant dipole with no tuner.

Wish I had room and/or a tower, but I don't...

Brett
N2DTS