[AMRadio] Re: Pw Supply

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Thu Dec 7 18:17:09 EST 2006

See below..

--------------------------------------
Maybe I picked the wrong subject to get an argument going. :>)
Except for Geoff no one else seems up for it. :>)

Anyway, I did a little reading about two transformers with secondary's in
series and it seems that when you do that and use a full wave rectifier,
that each transformer acts like a half wave circuit and there is a DC
current in the winding (because it is pulsating DC) which tends to saturate
the core of the transformer. So it seems that one of Jim's assumptions was
correct.

Now if you put two transformer secondary's in series and use a BRIDGE
rectifier you don't have the core saturation problem because there is no DC
in the individual cores. Current flows both ways in each transformer over
the full cycle.

Geoff, on you problem with current increasing from what I can glean from
your post you double the voltage and set the modulator current to the same
as it was with lower voltage. That = more watts so more current in the
primary. Different problem than transformers in series.

73
Gary  K4FMX