[AMRadio] MFJ

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Thu Dec 7 21:22:15 EST 2006

Funny thing this discussion about commercial verticals.  I
can't speak about the Butternut, but a couple of years back
I was in a situation that required a vertical.

I bought a Hustler for 80-10 and ground mounted it on a
piece of pipe following directions.  I put four 1/4 wave
radials on top of the ground for 40 and 75.  The other bands
only had two.  It was completely in the open over poor
ground.

I worked every one I wanted and received about the same
signal reports I gave.  All this was on AM too.  The
directions said to mount it well above ground and put
elevated radials under it for maximum performance.

So the thing is, any antenna is better than no antenna and
just a computer.

Jim
W5JO