[AMRadio] High-power tuners

A.R.S. - W5AMI ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 21:38:53 EST 2006

John,

I don't have a BC tx, but my rig would compare in regard tuner
requirements.  I home brewed a link coupled tuner, and think that's
the only way to go for a big power AM tuner to open feed line.  I got
a very large rf coil with rotating link off epay several years ago,
along with a split stator air variable of about 250pf per section and
probably 7+kv rating.  Very simple to build if you can find or make
the parts.  I've tested the tuner into a makeshift load (dummy) of
about 200 ohms with almost 3KW and the coil did nothing but get a
little warm after a minute or so.

Brian / w5ami