[AMRadio] High-power tuners

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Thu Dec 7 22:41:14 EST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Rick Brashear wrote:

> Would a KW Johnson Matchbox stand up to the load?

   I'm not a fan at all of the Matchbox series...  Several folks I know
have them, and they have very good points, and, like most Johnson gear,
some built-in design quirks and compromises.

   I am thinking to either find a military or commercial unit - or -
hombrew a feedpoint tuner with an unblanced input topology - then I can
just run real good coax, or maybe 1/2" or 5/8" hardline, from the TX to
the Tuner...  the which tuner is basically 'preset' for the small chunk of
80M I'm interetsed in.

   I have one of those Really Beefy 'antenna changeover' remote switches,
made to handle 10KW - I'm thinking of using it to switch the antenna's
feedpoint from the 80M tuner to the ladder-line and back - so I can use
the Smaller Rigs and the ATR-15 - as is the system now.

  All this until I move QTH - (hopefully!!) sometime early next year. Just
gotta wait until the Real Estate market is at the bottom of it's implosion
around here, and then go pick out the ("distressed") Ranch Property I
want.

   At that point I intend to add 'rhombic' to my Ham Lexicon.

Cheers and Best of the Season

John
KB6SCO
DM09fg