[AMRadio] Re: Pw Supply

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Thu Dec 7 19:26:58 EST 2006

Gary Schafer wrote:

> Now if you put two transformer secondary's in series and use a BRIDGE
> rectifier you don't have the core saturation problem because there is no DC
> in the individual cores. Current flows both ways in each transformer over
> the full cycle.

Now that we settled that, we have learned something but it does not help
much.

To review the problem.....

An 866 power supply requires a center tapped transformer.  These are
hard to come by these days because all recent equipment is solid state
and use bridges which do not require center tapped transformers.

There is little reason to tie two low voltage xformers together because
a single high voltage one is probably less expensive and easier to come by.

I suggested doing it to simulate a CT xformer with readily available parts.

Anyway, I got my answer and thank all for it.

js