[AMRadio] Re: Pw Supply

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Thu Dec 7 23:21:53 EST 2006

Jack Schmidling wrote:

>To review the problem.....

>An 866 power supply requires a center tapped transformer.  These are
>hard to come by these days because all recent equipment is solid state
>and use bridges which do not require center tapped transformers.

>There is little reason to tie two low voltage xformers together because
>a single high voltage one is probably less expensive and easier to come by.

>I suggested doing it to simulate a CT xformer with readily available parts.

>Anyway, I got my answer and thank all for it.

>js

Reply by Jim, WD5JKO:

   Hey Jack, it is possible to use your two 866's or 3B28's in the positive
side of the full wave bridge rectifier(+ output), and semiconductor diodes
for the other two legs of the bridge (- output). I did this years ago with
good sucess on a AM KW rig I once constructed.

   You can also use four 866's in a full wave bridge, but that requires 3
filament transformers...

Regards,
Jim
JKO