[AMRadio] RG8X

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri Dec 8 15:46:57 EST 2006

Well Rick, RG 8X came out after cellular hit the market.  It
is small and reasonable flexible.  It is about the same size
as RG 59 and has a bit more loss than RG 213.  So it is
perfect for UFH frequencies and installations in an
automobile.

Some of it has foam core around the center conductor and I
would not use that at all.  Should you kink or bend it too
much, the foam will loose it circular shape allowing the
impedance to change at that site.  You can avoid that by
following the installation rules of all wires.  The bend
radius of wires of any sort is 10 X the diameter.  So if you
have a .5 inch cable then the bend radius is 5 inches.

According to the specs it will handle 1500 watts.  If you do
it, be careful of installing connectors.  Should you
overheat the connector the heat will deform the foam near it
and that can cause problems.  I personally don't like the
stuff, but that is my personal preference.

Jim
W5JO