[AMRadio] RG8X and the Bazookie

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Fri Dec 8 16:43:51 EST 2006

Use one on 160 and one on 75 years ago. Claims of less noise and greatly
improved bandwidth were bogus over the same type of single wire
configuration. On the plus side, great wind catcher so you need strong
supports especially if used in a dipole configuration. Also, if your area
is prone to ice storms, larger surface area of antenna is a great
collector. You'll need strong rope. Bandwidth improvement was minuscule
over a dipole. It think Wallt Maxwell had some articles about this
antenna years ago, "fact and fiction". Lots of info on the web. If you
get water inside the coax and it then migrates, it will drive your SWR
readings all over the place. After several ice storms, I finally gathered
the antennas up and threw them in the trash can. Wire works just as well.

Pete, wa2cwa