[AMRadio] RG8X and the Bazookie

Larry Knapp kc8jx at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 17:23:38 EST 2006

To all - Everyone to their own taste and experience.  Can see reviews of the same antenna good
and bad (such as on eHam.net); depends upon the environment and many other factors.  As to my
specific situation and my results....I live in SW Michigan where we get a good amount of wind,
rain, snow and ice.  I do not have my 40 and my 75/80 coaxial bazooka(s) up very high...apex of
each is about 22 feet...ends much less....need to get it all higher (yes, I know)...but...Anyway,
I took down simple wire dipoles for 40 and 75 and put these bazookas up and have not regretted it.
 They are lower noise...super duper significantly lower noise?...no....but lower....makes 75 and
40 meters more tolerable.  Bandwidth on 40 is the whole band (simple wire dipole was the
same)...for either (on 40) the results have been the same except for a little less noise....same
height for each.  On 75/80 my usable low swr bandwidth is from about 3.510 - 3.925.  Above and
below it starts to increase past 2.5:1.  So I'm happy with it...works well...in fact using 50
watts on 80 meters CW I worked ZA7A....that to me is fantastic.  So yes, I'm a happy camper.  Your
mileage may vary.  Have a great weekend everyone.  73, Larry KC8JX

BTW, hope to see some additional activity on 15 AM this weekend.  Conditions were not too shabby
last Saturday and Sunday.  Fireup my DX-100B and NC-303.