[AMRadio] Screen Modulated 813

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Dec 11 12:24:19 EST 2006

Most 813's had graphite plates, and I never remember
them showing color, I always thought that would be way beyond
what they were good for, or was good for them...if they were glowing!

811/812 can show some color, but I don't think its GOOD
for them to do so.
6146, 6l6, 4D32, and others of their ilk don't normally show color,
4-65/125/250/400/1000 can, and its ok.
So can the TH and TL series, they can run almost white hot plates.

The harder you run them the shorter they last, and have less room
for mistakes (we don't make THOSE here).

While I don't often run tubes at the maximum plate
dissipation, I do greatly exceed the plate voltage ratings,
I don't know where they came up with the ratings, but you
seem to be able to double it without problems on most tubes.
I have been running a pair of 4D32's at 1200 volts under modulation,
without problems, they are rated for 600 volts in
plate modulated AM service...

Brett
N2DTS