[AMRadio] Re: Screen Modulated 813

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Mon Dec 11 12:26:06 EST 2006

Bry Carling writes:

> DX-60 followed by an 813 RF linear or SB200.
>
> Versus:
>
> 813 screen modulated final using the same method that sets
> the quiescent carrier level at about 10% of peak signal.
>
> Which would be more efficient?

It's my understanding that from a 1st order analysis (ignoring  subtleties
like what plate voltage they are being run at, any differences in
efficiencies between the tube types, output network design, etc, etc.), the
plate efficiencies would theoretically be the same between a
screen-modulated stage and a class AB linear amplifier stage amplifying an
AM signal, since they are both essentially "efficiency modulation"
techniques.

73.0000,
 -Larry/NE1S