[AMRadio] Step Start

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Mon Dec 11 23:47:53 EST 2006

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wrote:
> Jack I would dispense with the startup circuit.  With the choke input filter
> system and only 4mf of output capacitance you want need a start up circuit.

It's a total of 8 mf for the record but I am now thinking that the
hi/low switch was for low power tune up and had nothing to do with start up.

I have it rewired now for 110 and have a light bulb simulating the
xformer and notice a quirk with the time delay.  The contactor clacks on
after 60 seconds but if I shut if off I have to wait some period of time
before it will time out at 60 seconds because of the latent heat.  Seems
like it is only good for initial turn on.

I got bored trying to figure out how long it takes to cool down.

One more thing, the 866's have strange flakes of some sort of metal that
adhere to the inside of the tube and I can't seem to shake them down.
They kling to the glass as like from static electricity.  Should I be
concerned about these and not use them?

js