[AMRadio] I wish the Sun would control himself

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Wed Dec 13 23:09:02 EST 2006

This afternoon/evening I was building and testing a 10.0 MHz WWV receiver to
replace the dying Heathkit "Most Accurate Clock" receiver at my work.  All was
going well until the WWV signal faded out suddenly.  I fooled with the
receiver for an hour or so thinking something had failed, but its sensitivity was
still excellent when driven by my service monitor's generator.

Finally I turned on another shack receiver and found WWV gone.  What the
heck?  Did the antenna fall down?  No, they all are performing the same.
Propagation really dropped out.  Now I see that a solar flare started hitting the
Earth causing this disruption!

I really wish the Sun would avoid these outbursts while I'm trying to build
stuff...

Steve WD8DAS