[AMRadio] Re: GB> I wish the Sun would control himself

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Thu Dec 14 23:00:56 EST 2006

Bob  broehrig at aurora.edu writes:

> Back many years ago, when I only had one receiver (I think it was my S-85)
> I remember thinking the radio went bad. I pulled all the tubes and took
> them to be tested (and of course all were good). Good old solar flare :-)

I remember one solar storm years ago when I was on 40m SSB from Ohio during
the day (in the winter, must have been ditching school hamming)  and everything
faded out over the course of several minutes, dead quiet.  Then one signal
popped up perhaps S3-4, and I listened as two stations in a town in Brazil
talked to each other on ground wave.  Weird!  That's quite amazing for 40m in the
daytime...

Steve WD8DAS