[AMRadio] Re: the 3600 - 3635 spectrum

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Dec 16 15:16:25 EST 2006

My biggest concern is that if there is a big influx of upgrades and
newcomers to the no-code amateur world, how long before the phone bands once
again become congested to the point that, even with all the expanded phone
bands, there will be renewed calls to eliminate AM to make room for more
appliance operators to operate SSB.

But I suspect there will be an initial surge of upgrades and a few
newcomers, then things will settle back to normal, with continued concern
about the lack of new blood in our "dying hobby."  Remember, the renewable
Novice, Novice enhancement, no-code Tech, and 5 wpm General/Extra didn't
have the expected impact.

But one possibility is that the newcomers, if there are any, will
immediately be turned off by the scratchy, quacky sound of SSB and find
broadcast quality AM signals more to their liking.

Don K4KYV

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/