[AMRadio] Best amplifier for AM

Jim Miller WB5OXQ wb5oxq at grandecom.net
Mon Dec 18 23:08:07 EST 2006

What amplifier are most finding that work well on AM.  Mine is supposed to be good for only 165 watts of carrier and the tubes want to overheat even at that power.
Is a solid state amp better?  I understand that you can only expect 25% of the key down output when running AM.  Apparently a pair of 3-500s are only good for 650 continuous for sstv, FM etc and only 25% of that for AM.  I use an Orion for a transciever so 25 watts is all the output it has on am and I guess that means 100 watts pep.

      Jim & Ella Miller
WB5OXQ & KA5EPM
     Abby & Sparky
Dalmatian Furbabies