[AMRadio] Best amplifier for AM

Rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Mon Dec 18 23:40:18 EST 2006

Jim,

To get the max legal output, you'd probably have to roll your own.

An Amp Supply LK-800Z using three 3-500Zs wouldn't be bad.  I've got an
LK-500Z with a pair of 3-500Zs.

I get the same settings and results as do you.  However, I find that
when the band is open, 25W in and peaked for max, as you should for a GG
Amp, does fine!  I reach into NY, PA, NJ, Del, WV, SC, MD, GA, and FL.

Otherwise look into brewing up a 4-1000.  Feed it with 4KV to 5KV.
You'll probably have to throttle back your exciter to stay legal.

Bob - N0DGN

Jim Miller WB5OXQ wrote:
> What amplifier are most finding that work well on AM.  Mine is supposed to be good for only 165 watts of carrier and the tubes want to overheat even at that power.
> Is a solid state amp better?  I understand that you can only expect 25% of the key down output when running AM.  Apparently a pair of 3-500s are only good for 650 continuous for sstv, FM etc and only 25% of that for AM.  I use an Orion for a transciever so 25 watts is all the output it has on am and I guess that means 100 watts pep.
>
>       Jim & Ella Miller
> WB5OXQ & KA5EPM
>      Abby & Sparky
> Dalmatian Furbabies
>         Waco, TX

                            Bob - NØDGN
|          \\"""//    CraftyBob - WitchDoctor     \\"""//          |
|           (@ @)       Bob Bethman - NØDGN        (@ @)           |
+-------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo-------+
| NØDGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
+-------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------+
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-61ØI w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I,1 '51 Collins R-39ØA |
|  SP-6ØØ/NR Type 159, Heath DX-6Ø, Apache, Mohawk, SX-1Ø1, HT-32A |
+-------.oooO---Oooo.---------------------------.oooO---Oooo.------+
|       (    ) (    )Opinions expressed are that(    ) (    )      |
|        \  (   )  /    of my own and do not     \  (   )  /       |
|         \_ ) ( _/represent those of ANYONE else \_ ) ( _/        |
|     Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8 & Meade ETX-6Ø      |
|           38 Deg 46'48.62"' N - 77 Deg 28'26.89" W               |
|            ALL E-mail received and sent scanned by AVG           |