[AMRadio] Best amplifier for AM

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 00:32:28 EST 2006

Jim Miller WB5OXQ wrote:
> What amplifier are most finding that work well on AM.  Mine is supposed to be good for only 165 watts of carrier and the tubes want to overheat even at that power.
> Is a solid state amp better?  I understand that you can only expect 25% of the key down output when running AM.  Apparently a pair of 3-500s are only good for 650 continuous for sstv, FM etc and only 25% of that for AM.  I use an Orion for a transciever so 25 watts is all the output it has on am and I guess that means 100 watts pep.

Roll your own, Jim.

And, if you're going to do that, you might as well make a plate-modulate
AM rig.  MUCH more efficient.

how about a single 4-256 modulate by a pair?  That'll give 1500w PEP out.

Conversly, you'd proably have to have (3) 3-500Z's in linear lash-up to
get close to the same power out.

*roughly*

--
73