[AMRadio] HV Wire

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Fri Dec 22 19:48:45 EST 2006

Hi All,

As a TV broadcast engineer we simply used standard off the shelf
picture tube HV wire in a conduit for the 30 kV klystrode HV (up to
10 amps on black picture) AND we used RG-214 for the return (which
was a bit above actual ground) also in conduit for the return.  This
system has been in operation since 1992 with no ill effects.

There is nothing wrong with using RG-214 (not RG-214/U type i.e.
foam) for a ham power level HV supply for your external wiring up to
the 4 kV DC level.  The shunt capacitance is low enough not to affect
audio high end and there is no safety issue.

As a sidebar don't use crimp connections - only good solder.  Crimps
eventually start to arc with time.

Larry

W3LW