[AMRadio] HV Wire

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sat Dec 23 21:12:16 EST 2006

Peter,

    I am wondering how electric fence chargers work. I once heard that they pulse the HV on and off. I assume you grounded the coax shield near your home or barn yet the coax was still hot anywhere it touched the earth?? I don't see how that could be unless the coax braid was floating, and the HV pulsing was coupled to the shield from the cable capacitance per foot (~ 20pf/'). If the shield was grounded that capacitance would also charge to the peak value of the pulsed DC, and might end up changing the whole situation should a cow brush up against the wire. The 'danger' factor of the fence might  go up a notch or two this way.

   I'd like to hear more of your electric fence story.

Regards,
Jim
JKO