[AMRadio] Old X-Ray Gear High Voltage Available

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sun Dec 24 13:13:15 EST 2006

>     Finally...  the oil  of these are laced with PCBs and cannot be
>
>   disposed of except through hazmat services...    yes I had one
>
>   from a similar removal of old equipment  and it was a lot more
>
>   trouble than it was worth for me.    Cost me a fortune to scrap

I had about 5 gallons of the stuff, removed from some pole pig transformers.
It sat around here for years, until I finally disposed of it at one of  the
"hazardous household waste" disposal days the county runs here about twice a
year.  They take "household" and "automotive" liquids such as old paint,
brake fluid, oil, pesticides, etc, and have it hauled away by a licensed
hazardous waste disposal service.  They didn't list any specific liquids
that they would not take, but I played it safe and didn't mention anything
about suspecting that it contained PCB, but simply declared it as "unknown"
oil, and they accepted it free of charge and placed it next to some large
containers of brake fluid someone had turned in.

BTW, I understand that prior to the early 60's, certain brake fluids
contained PCB.  Probably a lot more leaked into the environment from
automobiles than ever leaked from transformers and capacitors, but that is
never mentioned by the media.

Don, k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/