[AMRadio] Odd signals in lower 80 meters

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sun Dec 24 13:41:44 EST 2006

> If I'm not mistaken, when NBVM didn't catch on in general, the company
> turned it's attention toward
> the security market using the technology as a 'scrambler'. They had a
> pretty big investment in their
> LSI chips to recover. Perhaps this is all one in the same.

I remember the League really pushing the technology, as the latest
"revolution."  Maybe a good name for it would have been "super slopbucket."
I could imagine how crappy the audio must sound over the air.

ARRL jumped the gun, and featured it on the full front cover of QST, only to
reveal inside the magazine nothing more than an announcement that a
technical article was "coming soon."  Nothing else was mentioned about it
until a few issues later.  I seem to recall an article, but it was mostly
about a commercial product produced by one company.  The greater amateur
community never paid  much attention to it.

But I recall some slopbucketeers about that time complaining about AM, and
saying that it took a lot of balls to run DSB AM on the band, especially now
that QST was about to reveal a new technology that would make even
conventional SSB "unnecessarily wide."

I can imagine that if the technology had caught on, that it would have
amplified the calls to outlow AM.

Don k4kyv