[AMRadio] HV Wire

John King k5pgw at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 24 14:09:03 EST 2006

I am amazed at the depth and extent of discussion over
the selection of wire. About ten years ago, the plate
transformer in one of my Heath SB 220s blew and I had
a spare Drake L4B plate transformer so I removed the
Heath transformer, mounted a heavy six pin Jones
socket on the rear panel and placed the Drake L4B
plate transformer in a wooden box under the desk. I
ran two hevy duty AC wires in a piece of SO cable from
the RF deck to the transformer keeping the SB-220
switches functional.

I ran two pieces of wire used to carry HV to cathode
ray tubes in tv sets from the transformer to the the
Jones plug which was connected to the diodes and caps
in the SB 220. I just substituted an outboard
transformer for the inboard one. The connecting wires
are at least 6 feet long.

The cathode ray tv tube wire has performed great for
the 10 or so years. It handles the 1100+ vac at about
an amp very well and has given no trouble. Not rocket
science. My two cents worth. 73, John, K5PGW