[AMRadio] "as the FCC intended"

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sun Dec 24 14:09:52 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "VJB" <wa3vjb at yahoo.com>

> Another thing that might be good strategy is to avoid
> frequencies ending in zero or five.  It's the mark of
> a good operator to avoid self-channelizing in order to
> more clearly provide elbow room for nearby activity
> off to a side.
>
> It also makes it harder for latecomers uninvolved with
> an existing QSO to zerobeat and "inadvertantly"
> proceed as if they aren't hearing anything. I keep
> telling you the carrier is an essential part of the
> signal.

Excellent idea.

In the past, I have even  heard slopbucketeers gripe about stations that
fail to transmit at "even frequencies."  Better still, avoid frequencies
that end in even ".0" kHz, if your vfo frequency indicator is of that
precision and accuracy.

The "avoid frequencies ending in zero or five" concept wouldn't apply to the
3878 nitwits, for example.

I don't think we should establish any new "AM Windows" in the expanded band,
but we need some guidelines for expected "calling frequencies."

Now that the novelty is beginning to wear off, I am hearing less activity
(both AM and SSB) in the expanded band segments.  Inevitably, when I call
CQ, a SSB station comes back before I can get any AM response.  While this
might be a useful way to promote AM,  a QSO with a SSB station is not what I
am usually  looking for when I call CQ.  I can even call CQ-AM, and they
still come back on SSB.  I don't like to be rude and ignore the SSB callers,
but I am finding it hard to establish an AM QSO when there are few signals
in the band.

Maybe some agreed-on calling frequencies would be in order, but we shouldn't
allow these to evolve into "window" frequencies, with  large roundtables,
but QSY once contact is established to another vacant frequency, at least
after more than 3 or 4 stations join the roundtable.

Any other ideas on this?

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/