[AMRadio] Odd signals in lower 80 meters

Jay Rusgrove JRusgrove at comcast.net
Sun Dec 24 15:06:35 EST 2006

> I remember the League really pushing the technology, as the latest
> "revolution."  Maybe a good name for it would have been "super slopbucket."
> I could imagine how crappy the audio must sound over the air.
>
> ARRL jumped the gun, and featured it on the full front cover of QST, only to
> reveal inside the magazine nothing more than an announcement that a
> technical article was "coming soon."  Nothing else was mentioned about it
> until a few issues later.  I seem to recall an article, but it was mostly
> about a commercial product produced by one company.  The greater amateur
> community never paid  much attention to it.

Don

In the 'for what it's worth' department...

Beginning in the early to mid 70's the Technical Department at ARRL no longer exercised much control
over the technical content of QST. Forced 'dumbing down' of QST (and other pubs other than the
Handbook) was dictated by the GM. NBVM was believed by that GM to be the 'second coming' of SSB and
it was promoted shamelessly in QST over the objections of the Technical Department.

Jay W1VD