[AMRadio] New Year's Resolution-Getting Back on AM!

ARS W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 04:14:54 EST 2006

On 12/26/06, Bob Scupp <k5sep at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Geoff-
>
> Thanks very much for all the great info on your
> improvements and additions to your G5RV.

I don't think you understand.  I'd -never- use a G5RV antenna.  I've
never heard one that I thought was worth of using for a transmitting
antenna.  Some people might argue that fact.  If it works for them,
fine.  I've tried one before, and was never happy with it.

The antenna I'm talking about, started as a 75m Inverted vee, apex'ed
around 60'.  In order to build the loop, I merely closed in the bottom
of the loop.  MY Loop is only 240~250 over-all feet long, that is 60'
tall, 120' wide and 20 or so feet off the ground.  Shaped like a
Pyramid, or a Tri-angle, the antenna is called a "Delta Loop", and
it's a full-wave length on 75m.  Works like a bomb on 75m, and even
better on the higher frequency bands.

IF I had the room, I'd do the same thing, for 160m, except I'd want
the feed point to be -at least- 120' in the air.

> BTW- I fully agree with K4KYV's statement about the
> necessity of using a scope to monitor your AM signals.
> That's something else I will have to work on.
> When I get to that point I sure do have a great group
> of AMer's to guide me!

Otherwise, you never know what's happening in your transmitter.

There are others that say that monitoring your envelope pattern isn't
good enough, if you have a scope... you should be watching the
Trapezoid pattern, instead.

Well, I've got a dual-trace scope... I just might start watching both ;-)

Hope you (and everyone) had a great Holiday, whatever you celebrate, if you do.

--
Operating your AM rig without a scope
is like driving our car at night without headlights.(~K4KYV)

73 = Best Regards
-Geoff/W5OMR