[AMRadio] AM Radio Weekend!

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 10:30:59 EST 2006

Mike WA5CMI wrote:
> I will!
>

> I have been on later in the day some this week. Of course I have been
> off work all week, too. :)

Geoff/W5OMR responds:

Good to hear from you, Mike!

Man, there's a few things going on, for AM Radio this weekend...
the Heavy Metal Rally (info at:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=9284.0)

This weekend marks the 100th anniversary of Feseden's 'discovery' of
Amplitude modulation, and I'm told that several 'Special Event' stations
will be on the air to commemorate that, including W1AW operated on AM!

You can read more about it at
http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=141242
under the heading "The Hello Campaign"

And, finally, according to Don/K4KYV,

~~~~~
The Greater Cincinnati Amateur Radio Association will hold its annual AM
night Thursday, 28 December, on 1936 kHz beginning at 9 PM EST.

The net meets regularly on this frequency on SSB, but every December,
the last Thursday of the year is declared AM night, when the net is
conducted on AM, and AM stations anywhere in the world are encouraged to
participate.

The GCARA got its start handling emergency traffic during the Ohio River
flood of 1936.  This was continued during 1937 when a second flood
occurred. The frequency of 1936 kHz was chosen to commemorate the year
of the first flood.  Following the 1937 disaster, the group decided to
continue the operation using that frequency.  Many of the pre-WW2
participants had crystals ground specially for 1936 kHz.

The net closed down during WW2, and 1936 kHz was off limits to the
Cincinnati area until LORAN-A was finally shut down and that portion of
the band was restored to amateurs. Shortly after the 1936 kHz frequency
was returned to amateurs in the early 1980's, the net was reactivated
and continues to the present day to operate on 1936 kHz, ± QRM.
~~~~~

This should be a -great- weekend for AM on the ham bands!

PERSONALLY, I'll try to be on early in the morning, but 4am?  I can make
5am a lot easier, but we'll see what happens.
Then, I'm headed to Spring, TX for a BBQ/jam session hosted by WA5BXO.
*MAYBE* I'll be able to talk John into putting up an antenna and
possibly fire up his Johnson Valiant.  We should be able to work 75m,
40m, and 10m with a 100' over-all long antenna, fed with home-brewed
600ohm open-wire line.

I'll be around, -somewhere-. ;-)

Is anyone getting on 7.290Mc in the afternoons, anymore?

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR