[AMRadio] PEP for AM

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 16:41:40 EST 2006

A while back there was a discussion on this subject, and it's popped up
here from time to time.

I was looking for information on the Wavenode WN-1 since my Heathkit
SA-2060 decided to dump on me - the tuner still works, but the metering
circuit went puh-tooie when I accidentally hit it with full power
(~300w) and an infinite SWR, moving from 3.880 to 3.650 and it ARC'ED!
This happened on the 15th of December, and now the power indicators
don't work.

Anyway, I ran across this information, and thought I'd share it with the
group here, so that some mis-conceptions about AM PEP could be cleared up.

(from: http://www.pc-oscilloscopes.com/articles/pc_oscilloscope_rf.html)

P E P (AM)
% Modulation = (( PEP - PC) / PC) *100%

Example:
Carrier Power PC = 100 W, PEP = 400 W.

Determine % Modulation
M% = (( 400 - 100) / 100) *100% = ((20-10) / 10) *100% = 100%

There's also a chart there, that tells how the percent of modulation is
calculated, and how much power output can be expected for how 'deeply'
(their term, not mine) modulated the carrier is.

I thought it was interesting enough to share.

Now... once -this- information is digested and you've got it making
sense to you, -then- go look at http://www.qsl.net/wa5bxo/asyam/aam3.html

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR