[AMRadio] Capacitors

Bill Smith hbco2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 29 23:48:37 EST 2006

According to Hoyle (was he a ham?) use ceramic capacitors for bypass in the
front end of the receiver (RF, oscillator and mixer stages) and use tubulars
for bypass and coupling in the IF, bfo, audio and other low frequency
stages.

I've used tubulars throughout, too, and they work fine.  I am sure ceramics
would also, just can't bring myself to put those flimsy things throughout an
old receiver.  In fact, I've taken them out when found as replacements.
Long ago, heard that the inductance inherent in tubular capacitors was
factored-in when designing RF coils, but I seriously doubt it.

When replacing components, use the original gound points and component
placement.

73 de Bill, AB6MT
hbcs2 at sbcglobal.net