[AMRadio] FCC & AM

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 2 11:35:21 EST 2006

Hi all,

   I'm changing the topic a little, but the title
above still fits. I called a local AM station (KOKE
1600 AM)today about their quality, and had to leave
audix. It seems that this is a low budget station that
relies on networked broadcasting via voice over IP.
The quality varies from poor to horrible. Today they
were splattering +/- 30 Kc, and were very distorted.
Yesterday they had low audio, and it sounded like a 3"
speaker in a pickle jar. The IP stuff also results in
packet loss, and ineteruptions in the audio.

    It seems to me that things were better decades ago
when remote programming was done via the twisted pair
phone line. I have listened to many a MLB baseball
game this way.

    So what if any position does the FCC take on
commercial AM broadcasting stations using voip where
the quality and level are both highly variable?

Regards,
jim candela
WD5JKO