[AMRadio] PTO Mech. alignment

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Thu Feb 2 22:27:01 EST 2006

  I have repaired the PTO in my R-388, and recieved the re-finished panel
back from Howard Mills (along with a newly-restored dial-drum).

   Currently the Panel is hanging on the wall in the living room in a nice
frame - I just sit on the couch and study it's amazing aspect, considering
what it looked like apres-Howard.

   The PTO is working again - C008, the .001 inside the can, had gone the
way of all discrete components: requiescat in pacem. This weekend it'll
get the rest of the 'brown matchsticks' replaced, new 6BA6s, and then
aligned - I have the machinist's circle on the way. And of course several
versions of the Instructions.

  My Question is this: what is a synopsis, (or a pointer) of the correct
way to line up the PTO shaft/coupling, the dial pointer, and the KC Dial?

   I was thinking to tune to WWV on 10 Mhtz and line it all up that way,
but I've never done this before, so any help / advice / wisdom / sarcasm,
etc would be greatly appreciated.

   Now, back out front to contemplate my rig's new 'official' front panel -
after 20 years of pinkish-beige gloss enamel and press-on lettering.  And
no, I didn't do that - it arrived in my care thus disfigured.  All is now
well, however.

   Cheers

John  KB6SCO

PS: THANKS Howard!!!!