[AMRadio] PTO ready to install, but...

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Sun Feb 5 22:54:22 EST 2006

     Arrghhhh!!

  None of the three Bristol wrenches that were clipped under the lid are
the right ones for the PTO Oldham coupler - so I'll have to wait for
Tuesday to get the set I ordered from McMaster-Carr - $10 for a set of 9,
4- and 6-flute - not a bad deal.  www.mcmaster.com and search for
'bristol' then scroll down a ways.

    Found out that the problem with the center-point offset was gross
mis-adjustment of the 'span' coil - the closer I pulled it in, the better
the linearity got - now she's within about 1.5 KHtz overall - back in the
radio it goes.  Then - the kit of new (NOS, and/or tested to new spec)
tubes, a thorough RF-IF alignment, and we'll see how the Old Girl does.
I'm hoping to be rather pleasantly surprised - it sure will look pretty,
at any rate!

  Cheers

John  KB6SCO