[AMRadio] FS: restored Gonset G-76

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Thu Feb 9 08:22:07 EST 2006

I dug out the G76 last night, and gave it a workout.
I need to take care of the audio, the receive is not that bad
with the IC chip I have in there, but to much hiss.

I had it on 40 meters, and with the dummy load selected, I was
picking up sw broadcast stations at s9, the thing is sensitive,
likely more sensitive on the lower bands than it needs to be...

The TX audio sounds like crap with the D104, it had problems
making much over 50% positive, with plenty of distortion.
I tried some other 6DQ6 modulator tubes with no improvement.
Phasing made no difference, but reducing the RF power made
things better, up to 90% at about 40 watts out.
Plenty of grid drive, 685 volts on the high voltage...

Its restricted, ok for a small signal, but the waveform
on the scope looks all screwed up.

So I am thinking about gutting the audio, and putting
in something like a pair of 6CA7's in AB1, driven by
a phase splitter circuit.

I do not like the postage stamp size driver/audio output
transformer, what with the 6DQ6's needing driving power.

It should be a fun project to get the thing working a little
bit better then it does now.

Brett
N2DTS