[AMRadio] AM Transmitter Advice??

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Feb 18 20:56:03 EST 2006

Needless to say Bacon,  when this was the standard, I wasn't in to looking
up the specs.  My memory was that the specifications were for taut band
meters but I don't recall the FCC specifying a time constant for the
manufacturers to meet.  I don't think the ones used on the Knight Kit were
compatible.

Most meters of good manufacture such as Weston, Triplett and such were of
the acceptable standard.  Usually the government, who could not be partial
to a particular brand, would specify the general accepted manufacturing
brands.

As I recall the meters you pointed out in the ad for the Drake L-4B were of
that quality but others made meters as acceptable.  As my flaky memory
serves, only until the advent of the digital meters, did the specifications
improve.  But one could not read the peak in digital.

This is my complaint about peak reading wattmeters.  Capacitive hold meters
are not accurate to the standard that can be called accurate.  So now we
have the LED reading type but I have never seen a specified range of volts
that cause one LED to operate and the knee where the other illuminates.

Oh well, just musing and following this topic and enjoying myself.

73  Jim
W5JO