[AMRadio] Re: [FLBOATANCHORS] Replacing sweep tubes with 6146s

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sun Feb 19 03:04:28 EST 2006

Brian Carling wrote:

>On 18 Feb 2006 at 13:25, Mark Foltarz wrote:
>

>>I picked up a Yaesu 570 ( predacessor to FT-101) at the Brooksville hamfest
>>today. No finals.
>>
>>I seem to remember a few years back an article on converting the finals in a
>>FT-101* to 6146s.
>>
>>Seems like a good idea now since a 6KD6 sweep tube cost a lot more than a 6146.
>>
>>Back when the tube rice boxes came out the sweep tubes could be had for a
>>couple of bucks.
>>
>>Anyone have thoughts on this potential conversion?
>>

>BAD IDEA!

I dissagree.  Several rigs have been successfully converted away from
Sweep tubes, over to 6146's, or 807's, for that matter.

A Worthwhile investment, as far as I'm concerned.  Sweep tubes are more
expensive and don't last as long.  6146's are rugged.  They've been
through the fire before, and they'll stand a whole lot more.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR