[AMRadio] W4CJL's Taylor Super Modulation

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Fri Feb 24 20:13:02 EST 2006

Hi Tom,

After scouring the internet for a while now, I still
can't find any articles at all on the details of the
Taylor circuit.

I found an article by Hoisy from AM Press/Exchange
where he refers to W6QYT and W3PHL, and the Taylor
super-modulated circuit.
http://www.amfone.net/AMPX/65.html
Scroll down to "The Super Modulation Audio Processing
Group" which is a little before the middle of the
issue.

Villard worked with various modulation techniques, and
he is famous for his involvement in the development of
amateur SSB.  W3PHL Fred used a high level balanced
modulator.  (Very high level - 600 watts carrier, 2400
watts audio).  I think Hoisy was talking about the
ability to transmit negative carrier with a high-level
modulated stage, and the ability to modulate beyond
100% negative, but he was also talking about negative
cycle loading, and he said something about an FCC limit
of 2KW PEP per sideband, so the details may not have
been entirely accurate.

I also found this page:
http://glowbug.port5.com/DSB.html
Lots of stuff on balanced modulation from way back
when.  All of the designs seem to be about completely
balancing out the carrier, but the QST article
references George Grammer's article, "Practical
D.S.B.R.C. Transmitter Design" from QST Maym, 1951,
which appears to be about an AM-DSB transmitter that
can be run at any level of carrier.

There is also Fred W3PHLs article "Modulation
Unlimited" from around CQ around 1967.  I believe it
was a two-part article.  He was describing the
"upside-down tube" high level balanced modulator, which
can be unbalanced for carrier output by applying DC
along with the audio.  W3DUQ and I also used similar
circuits way back when, and K1JJ tried one also.

  Bacon, WA3WDR