[AMRadio] Re: 1986 AM Ham-radio Video

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Mon Feb 27 19:31:15 EST 2006

Jim,

Not quite.  All NTSC encoded video is essentially 320 x 240 and VHS
with its AM "color under" system makes it even worse because of color
artifacts in the luminance.  640 x 480 which is a SMPTE and ITU
standard is only possible with RGB component systems where no
NTSC  encoding has taken place.  Because of the "non locked "color
under" system of VHS no improvement of significance is possible in
any digitizing or upconverting system.  In fact digitizing noisy
video usually makes the noise noticeably worse because of bit
uncertainly in the least significant bits.

Regards,

Larry W3LW
old TV guy