[AMRadio] Cheap 6L6GC / 7581 / 7027?

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue Feb 28 07:49:25 EST 2006

Hi All,

Check this out, and tell me if you think this guy has discovered a gold
mine. Here is what he says:

"We have procured a VERY large supply of new old stock Philips/ECG (formerly
Sylvania) 6BG6GA tubes that are PERFECT replacements for any 6L6 or 7027A"

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6BG6.html

My recollection is that the 6L6, 7581, KT-66, 807, 1625, 7027, 6BG6 are all
very similar except for maximum ratings, basing, filament voltage, plate cap
or none, etc.

He alleges that the late ECG 6BG6 has the same internal construction of the
7581, and is capable of dissipating 35 watts plate dissipation without color
or thermal run away. I recall an add in GE HAM news about the multi-layer
plate on a 6L6GC that made the same claim. If this guy is correct, then this
is one heck of a deal.

Wasn't the 6L6 the first commercial Octal based tube made?

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO