[AMRadio] 7285Kc tomorrow/Saturday

Mark K3MSB mark.k3msb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 03:25:43 EST 2006

On 1/7/06, Brett gazdzinski <Brett.gazdzinski at mci.com> wrote:
> K3MSB, your audio looked very low on the scope, like 20% modulated,

When YHY answered me one of the first things he told me was that my
audio was low.  I looked at the mod current and indeed it was barely
deflecting on voice peaks.   I upped the audio so the mod current was
where it should be and he said it sounded fine.  We were talking for
about 45 minutes, and I had the audio upped within the first 5 minutes
of the QSO.  When did you make you measurement Brett?

If you looked at your scope at another time, I'm not sure what to say.
 The 5100B was running as it normally does, and I'd think I'd have
received other comments about low audio since I use the 5100B a lot.
I wish you had broke into the QSO and told me;  could've played with
the audio a bit.

>and N8YHY was very distorted
> and restricted sounding. Not sure what he was running, but it sounded bad...

Chris was running a Valiant and I assume stock audio.  I detected no
distortion and had no trouble copying him whatsoever.  I was running
my SX-101A which has a max selectivity of 5 Khz.  If your RX has a
higher selectivity setting and Chris is running stock audio, perhaps
that's why he sounded "restricted" ?

> Why did you guys pick 7292?
> I could not squeeze in above or below you, from 7280 to 7300 was taken up
> with 2 qso's...

I was on 7290, but I do remember adjusting to Chris's frequency a
little; that may be why we ended up on 7292.
Again, just break in and ask us to move down a few Kc's.....

Mark K3MSB