[AMRadio] coils

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Sun Jan 8 21:21:34 EST 2006

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward B Richards" <zuu6k at juno.com>
>>
>> I am going to wind a pi section tank coil from 1/4" copper tubing
>> tomorrow. Mine will be 4" in diameter and 3" in diameter. Which tubing is
>> best (no kink) thick or thin? Thanks.

   A trick to making smooth bends in soft metal tubing, is to fill it with
fine sand first.

   Now - I understand this can be tedious with long lengths of
small-diameter stock, but if you have no other mandrels or fixtures to
wind it on, sometimes this can help from developing a kink in the pipe.

   Then, you can blow the sand out, or just leave it in there - won't hurt
the electrical specs of the coil...

   Cheers

John  KB6SCO