[AMRadio] I'm not an antenna expert

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 11 12:46:31 EST 2006

John Lawson wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Brian Carling wrote:
>
>> Should work great for close in work, out to about 200-500 miles.
>

>   Well, except for the bands where the system SWR is over 3:1 - then
> it don't work at all....  ;}   and I'm afraid of what I'm doing to the
> tuner/transmitter at that amount of reflected power.

There's no law that says you have to run full power output, to tune SWR
on an impedance matching device...

I'd just as soon use a solid state rig, that has SWR protection in
it...  slowly adjust the impedance matching device, until you get full
output of the ricebox, and minimum standing wave ratio.  Then, DON'T
TOUCH IT!  Just switch rigs, and tune the transmitter to that setting.
it's resonant.

otherwise, you might be loading up on some harmonic

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR