[AMRadio] Negative Loading circuits - good, bad, or ?

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Wed Jan 11 16:17:02 EST 2006

Bacon,

As usual your explanations are correct.  Broadcast AM stations gave
up on high level negative clipping long ago because of splatter out
50 kcs or more even before the almost universal switch to Class D
systems.  The best high level plate modulated system while pretty
good as in the BTA-1R RCA still can't hold a candle to the low IM and
harmonic distortion and carrier phase modulation of modern Class D
transmitters.  They are real good to 110% and quite acceptable to
125% + mod even with the VERY tight rules on splatter in the AM
broadcast service.  The audio band input filters ahead of all
transmitter audio are typically 9-11 poles starting at around 8 khz
rolling down to about 30 dB at 9 kcs.

Larry  W3LW