[AMRadio] ARRL bandwidth petition draws anti-AM'ers out of

Clay Curtiss W7CE w7ce at curtiss.net
Thu Jan 12 00:14:26 EST 2006

> AM is no different from
> this. It is an old modulation that adds nothing to advancing the
> technological art, and should be
> confined to bands where there is ample spectrum available.
>
> Richard L. Tannehill P.E. - W7RT

Based on his argument, CW, SSB, FM and RTTY should be eliminated also.  All
are VERY old technologies that could be replaced with high tech digital
modes.  There's room in ham radio for all of our sub-hobbies.  I wish
everyone would quit acting like their particulat interests are the only
valid parts of the hobby.

Personally, I like operating vintage equipment on AM, chasing DX especially
on 80M and 6M, and designing antennas.  I haven't ever used any of the
digital modes which is kind of ironic since I am an Electrical Engineer and
design digital ICs for a living (including some digital modulation systems
that use DSP).  I plan to start building on EME station so I may go digital
to work stations below the noise.  Somehow I don't think that will be as
satisfying as hearing my own CW echo off the moon though.

I like to see most HF bands segmented into three regions:

1.  CW only (probably about 50-75 kHz per band
2.  Digital modes only (another 50-75 kHz per band)
3.  Phone only (SSB, AM, Hi-Fi SSB, FM, and whatever else) on the rest of
the band

Each region would be exclusive for the specified modes.  This would cut down
on cross-mode QRM  in general and especially during contests.  While not
specified above, a small segment of each band reserved exclusively for
legacy modes (like AM) would be nice.  I suspect that this plan is way too
simple for most, but it seems like it would work and it's not that big of
change from the way the HF bands are used today.

73,
Clay  W7CE