[AMRadio] response to your comments...

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 12 04:55:46 EST 2006

Hello, Rick.

Recently, the following has come to light...

Proceeding: RM-11306     Type Code: CO
Date Received/Adopted: 01/10/06    Date Released/Denied:
Document Type: COMMENT    Total Pages: 1
File Number/Community:    DA/FCC Number:
Filed on Behalf of: Richard L. Tannehill
Filed By:
Attorney/Author Name:    Document Date:
Complete Mailing Address:
5410 W. diana Ave.
Glendale, AZ 85302 -4870
Brief Comment

I agree with the ARRL petition for regulation by bandwidth, and support
it, with one major exception.
The League claims that their plan does not favor one mode over another.
Not true. It favors AM-DSB
operators. It would allow for 9 KHz AM modulation, in bands which
otherwise are limited to 3.5 KHz.
These include the lower HF bands, which are quite crowded at times. The
solution is simply to
restrict AM-DSB to above 28.5 MHz. (10 meters & above) Amateurs and the
league have been
upset in the past over wide-SSB modulation, meant to improve audio
quality. AM is no different from
this. It is an old modulation that adds nothing to advancing the
technological art, and should be
confined to bands where there is ample spectrum available.

Richard L. Tannehill P.E. - W7RT

ARRL Life Member
(45-years amateur licensed)
-----------------------

The comments that follow, are the immdiate reactions from but one of
several disscussion areas on the 'web, that discuss AM Activities.

-----------------------
Who does he think invented Class D/E?  Engineers that were -not- hams?
I'm not sure what the percentage is, but I think it's actually fairly
high, that the number station engineers (for lack of a better term, in
today's times) who do work in radio/broadcasting, are also ham radio
operators.

In 1996, I was introduced to a Class E 40m amplifier, that looks no
bigger (if not smaller) than the two transistor, solid-state amp I use
for mobile operation, and the Class E amp used 1 device.  12v @ 50amps,
I think, for something like 500w CW.
In the late 1980's, a ham I know was using solid-state circuitry to
directly drive the grids of a Class B modulator.  Now, that was some
radical thinking, and the old timers let him know about it... that is,
until they heard it.  They were convinced.

For someone to say that there's no advancement in the 'old modulation',
with "nothing to advancing the technological art", my reply is "go back
and do your homework, before such a blanket statement is made.

45 years as a ham... probably got a ticket when he around 20'ish..
I'm reminded of a new-classic, favorite, one-liner...

"Why is it that the narrowest of minds,
are found in the fattest of heads?"

---------------------
Thanks for the input, we need to save AM ON ALL HF BANDS

---------------------
Based on his argument, CW, SSB, FM and RTTY should be eliminated also.  All
are VERY old technologies that could be replaced with high tech digital
modes.  There's room in ham radio for all of our sub-hobbies.  I wish
everyone would quit acting like their particulat interests are the only
valid parts of the hobby.

Personally, I like operating vintage equipment on AM, chasing DX especially
on 80M and 6M, and designing antennas.  I haven't ever used any of the
digital modes which is kind of ironic since I am an Electrical Engineer and
design digital ICs for a living (including some digital modulation systems
that use DSP).  I plan to start building an EME station so I may go digital
to work stations below the noise.  Somehow I don't think that will be as
satisfying as hearing my own CW echo off the moon though.

I like to see most HF bands segmented into three regions:

1.  CW only (probably about 50-75 kHz per band
2.  Digital modes only (another 50-75 kHz per band)
3.  Phone only (SSB, AM, Hi-Fi SSB, FM, and whatever else) on the rest of
the band

Each region would be exclusive for the specified modes.  This would cut down
on cross-mode QRM  in general and especially during contests.  While not
specified above, a small segment of each band reserved exclusively for
legacy modes (like AM) would be nice.  I suspect that this plan is way too
simple for most, but it seems like it would work and it's not that big of
change from the way the HF bands are used today.

----------------
typical appliance operator, plug it in and talk, ham radio is about teaching
old and new ways, i guess building radios should be outlawed next

----------------
This guy is VERY short sighted if he thinks AM is going to be
a big problem. He hasn't heard ANYTHING until he has heard the
band-polluting garbage waiting in the wings from the digital
modes that ARRL wants to be used from DC to Daylight!

The pests that push Winlink/Pactor on amateur radio have
demonstrated
their careless, hazardous operation for a few years now.

I will no longer to pay to help ARRL destroy amateur radio
with their foolish, ill-considered bandwidth proposals
and the dishonest claim that they have adequately consulted
radio amateurs before making this proposal.
It has been roundly rejected by the vast majority of hams
in discussions in a variety of forums. Yet they blindly
press on!

I don't place much greater hope in FCC any more.
But we should all let them know how disgusted we are with the
proposal.

Your opinion may vary. My mind is made up.

Yes, the behavior of the anti-AMers is absurd too!
They need to get something other than air between their ears!

--------------
have to agree W7RT need to check into a rest home for the warped. as for
the ARRL  what i do not understand is WHY we keep putting these fools
back in office ? i keep my membership just so i can vote for the new guy
each time. and stay in the dxcc program. other then that the ARRL is
about useless anymore.
73

So, there you have it, Rick.
I believe you've -touched a nerve-.  This is only some of the input from
1 of countless forums that are in place for the technical discussion of
Amplitude Modulatoin.

You might want to go back, and review some procedure, and listen to some
On-Air AM discussions, compare and relate them to typical SSB
discussions today, and tell me who talks more 'technically'?  Who's
building something?  and who's sending yet another peice of commercial
gear off to the repair shop, because they don't have a clue as to how to
fix their own gear?

Why are you upset/obsessed with AM being allowed to exist?  Please,
don't tell me it's because the 'bands are crowded'.  They're that way,
because the big three (Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom) has lobbied the Armanian
Rump Rubbers League with their incessant whining of "we're not making
enough money", so they convince ARRL to tell the FCC to lower/drop
requirements for a license, and we'll give you 'x' amount of money for
each radio sold".  That's when we started seeing more and more CB'ers
come into the picture.

AM Operation isn't the enemy to Amatuer Radio.  A Lot of people think
its' the ARRL, but what it really boils down to, is the market nowadays
to appeal to by YeaComWood are the Appliance Operator, who can just go
buy a transciever, buy an antenna, buy the coax, hire someone to hook it
up (because he doesn't posses the knowledge) and -then- boldly (however
inaccurate the statement is) claim "I'm A Ham".   (sheesh)

Before I close, let me leave you with this Story...

*What AM Is To Me*

by John E. Coleman, WA5BXO

*O*perating AM is not about communicating using the most efficient mode
of transmission or the latest technology. It is about technical
understanding of what is really happening in one's transmitter. Not just
the standard old definitions but down in the nitty-gritty. It is about
understanding the technology of old and new. It's about understanding
why one circuit is better suited for a job than another even though both
have the same definition. It is about home-brew equipment and
modifications. It is about fellowship and a gentleman's mannerisms. It
is about fun in learning. It's a little new stuff mixed with some
nostalgia and used in a mode that is pleasurable to the operator and the
listener.

Sounds a lot like Ham Radio in general.

Don't misunderstand me, there is a lot more to Ham Radio than operating
AM. There are so many aspects of Ham Radio that I'm sure I could not do
the list justice. For this I am glad. Ham Radio has always been the
seeds of electronic and communication technology. And I hope it
continues to be.

Somewhere deep in my brain are the memories of the days of learning and
wonderment. I can not forget the first time I saw the bottom of the
Sears 1950 TV as the repairman went in with his meter and hand tools to
repair the set so that I could watch Roy Rogers and Dale Evans on the
next Saturday Morning. All the tubes glowing and how did it get in there
(the picture and the sound) I asked myself and many others. Then later
while in high school and having upgraded to general class, I was
privileged to not only see some of the greatest radio transmitters to
have ever been home brewed, but I was known by the men that built them
on a first name basis. Walking in to the shack of K5SWK in the evening
to see the 833s and 866s glowing and to hear the feedback from the
modulation transformer and slight hum of the pole pegs is a memory that
will always make me stop what I doing and ponder the nostalgia. Do I
operate AM because I can't let go of a childhood memory? You bet I do.
And I hope to stir some of those memories in others if possible and to
plant some seeds of my own.

Many Thanks and 73 to those Elmers

Wayne, W5FJS
Otis, K5SWK
Tom, K5IBW
Koby, K5MZH
Jake, K5IQV
Bill, WA5DWX 	Gene, WA5ATH
Gene, W5HQJ
Roy, W5MRY
Steve, K5LTK
Ronnie, K5MKB
Don, K4KYV

This is just to name a few and I know that a lot are silent keys and
some have changed their calls. But I will always remember them with the
calls heard first.
-------------------------------------

(BY the way, Rick, this is the same guy, that back in the 80's was using
solid state devices to control big tube transmitters.)

I went looking for your name.. and instead of going to www.qrz.com, I
simply typed your call into 'Google'...

I came up with
"If re-elected, I will continue to work for morse test speed reduction
in all nations. I will also work for suppression, then removal of
article S25.5 in the ITU treaty to allow each nation to decide it's own
requirements for amateur licensing. If required, I will then work with
the FCC to eliminate pass/fail morse testing in the American exams."

That statement, alone, sums it up for me.

If that's not endorsement enough to want to learn CW, just to join
FISTS, I don't know what is.

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR